Sunday, May 3, 2009

Arranged Love- May 2, 2009

Writer’s block. So I can write my random thoughts on my own all day long, when I know that nobody will see it but me. But, when I plan to post my musings on the Internet in blog form for the whole world to see, it becomes an “assignment”, and no longer as fun. Dangit. Maybe writing as a career is harder than I thought it would be (not that this is a career, but you know). Anyway, thought I should give it a try again.I’m reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I’m actually enjoying it, and not for the naughty reasons one might think. First, I love novels written in the first person. It has the feel of a memoir and seems very realistic. I just happened to watch the Duchess last night, which really coincided with the book. Women were so powerless, pawns in the hands of men. Elijah and I are pretty anti-infidelity, so we didn’t enjoy that part of the movie. But I think it is so interesting to see how things were and how much they have changed. Marriages that were arranged for power, money, or prestige instead of the product of love. It is so hard for me to imagine being in that situation. I know its sounds all serious, so I guess I’ll stop. Anyway, I would like to research what happened in history to make relationships and the role of women the way it is today. There is probably a 90% chance I will not pursue this. I did already take a “Women in History” class. But it makes me thankful to know I can choose to be with the one I love.

0 comments: